Reach internationals in your community with these three free action items
As God calls you to GO on a short-term mission trip, you’ll have 3 choices:
- Self Pay
- Raise Support
- Self Pay & Raise Support
Even if you have the ability to pay your own way we encourage you to consider raising support to help fund the ministry projects for you and your team. We have 3 responses to the Great Commission:
- Be Disobedient
Allow people the opportunity to help send you and your team. Your obedience to GO needs to include your obedience to invite others to give. If you don’t have the ability to self pay then you honestly have no other choice, either you invite people to contribute to your mission or you don’t go. Shallow your pride and accept that the call to GO includes the call to support raise.
You Want me to Ask for Money?!?!
You might argue, but I don’t like asking for money! That’s embarrassing. Well, you’re looking at this the wrong way. You’re not asking people to give you money. If so, stop calling it a mission trip! As a mission trip, you’re following Jesus’ mission! So, you’re asking people to join God in his work. That is very different than asking people for money.
Prayers are Needed More than Money!
Actually, since this is a mission trip prayers are needed more than money! You’re able to go on a trip where you’ll be totally dependent on God doing the things only HE can do! Salvation, forgiveness, healing, transformation are all things money can not buy. You’re not just raising money. You’re enlisting a sending team. The believers supporting your mission trip will have NO problem praying for you. Their prayers are priceless in the success of this mission!
Are you ready to start raising support?
Support Raising Tips
- Start NOW! While some are called to physically go to India, all are called to go prayerfully and financially. While you can’t force people to support you, you are called to be the messenger of inviting people to join God in His work around the world.
- Make a list of everyone you know! Make sure you care about them and God’s work in their lives. Don’t deny them the opportunity to be blessed by God. Jesus has promised that it is more blessed to give than to receive. Invite everyone you know to support your trip prayerfully and financially.
- Prioritize developing prayer support and the financial support will follow.
- Trust that where it is God’s will it is God’s bill. It could be dangerous to be in India outside the will of God!
- EVERYONE qualifies as a potential prayer partner! Ask everyone to pray! One request is for God to meet every need.
- God will call some to be the answers to their own prayers.
- Don’t raise support – raise people! People are watching you now. Be a positive example and witness to them. Love them. Thank them. Develop your relationships with them. If all you care about is getting money into your account then you’ve already misunderstood why God is calling you to India.
- It is never too early. Send out your support letters as soon as you possibly can, the earlier the better.
- No gift is too small! People are giving to Jesus, not to you. Treat every gift the same – with genuine appreciation.
Keep these truths in mind at all times:
“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.” John 15:16
“Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.“ 2 Corinthians 9:7
When preparing your support raising letter – make it:
(View a sample support letter here.)
- Factual – about the trip. Do not list locations beyond the state in India, and do not identify the partner’s name or ministry.
- Personal – about you, God’s call and what God has laid on your heart.
- Brief – keep it to 1 page
- Specific – What specifically do you want people to do in response to your letter?
- Instructional – How do people give?
- Easy – include a sponsorship card & postage paid envelope
- Memorable – Some people get lots of support raising letters. Make them remember yours! Print it on bright paper, include a photo, etc.
- Relational – Care about people not just getting their money.
- Realistic – While God can do anything, most likely you’ll need to contact potential supporters multiple times and in multiple ways. See this letter as a part of a strategy and not the strategy itself.
*It is important to include this statement in your letter, as per GHI policy: All gifts to GHI are tax-deductible and therefore non-refundable. All donations are used to support GHI and its charitable causes.
Ways to raise support:
- Pray! God is our provider. Trust Him to guide and provide.
- Mail out letters (View a sample support letter here.)
- Use all available social media
- Talk face-to-face with people
- Take every opportunity to speak to small groups, school groups, civic groups, churches, etc
- Turn your interest & skills into reasons for people to support your trip. Examples: one team member offered a couponing class, someone else sold tickets for $25 for a drawing for a gourmet meal at their home. Three team members carried drywall up 2 flights of steps then split a $1,000 donation. One team member sold friendship bracelets outside Trader Joe’s. Only heaven is the limit!
- Work odd jobs.
- Plan your own fundraiser.
Remember, you are going on this trip because of the generosity of others.
Ways to say, “Thank you!”
- Send them (through the Mail) a handwritten thank you card and personalize it to each supporter.
- Buy a small trinket for all/some of your supporters while in India.
- Share the stories of your trip with as many of your supporters as you can and be open to those who may now be curious about the gospel because of the change they now see in you. It’s an amazing thing to step out in faith and see the changes that occur within your heart and the hearts of those around you.
Remember what this trip is all about:
Advancing the Gospel in India, don’t let support raising drag you down; this is just one aspect of a life changing trip.
Where God guides He provides!
About Kevin White
Kevin White is a Christian pastor, international speaker, and an international best-selling author. As a writer, Kevin’s newest book, Audacious Generosity, is a best new Christian Book of 2020. Audacious Generosity was an instant international best seller in India and the United States of America. Audacious Generosity is the New Book to Read in 2021. Look for it among Christianity books on Amazon and everywhere books are sold. Kevin’s why for life is to extend access to Jesus to all people world-wide. Kevin loves to motivate people how to encounter the presence of God in their everyday life.
As a seasoned entrepreneur, Kevin has started and helped start hundreds of businesses, churches, and nonprofit organizations. Kevin is an expert in church leadership and business development. Kevin’s shepherd’s heart can be seen in his speaking and writing. He integrates Biblical principles and worship into everything he does. Kevin’s strategy is to help people transform into the likeness of Jesus. Find more from Kevin White including his blog, podcast shows, YouTube Channel, and Generously Blessed 1MM One Minute Motivational Series at https://kevinwhite.us
About Global Hope India
Kevin White is the Founder/Executive Director of Global Hope India, a Christian mission organization focused on sharing the gospel in India and among Indian Nationals world-wide. We facilitate virtual mission teams to India and short-term mission teams in-person in India. These teams empower the church in India with pastoral training, youth pastor training, children’s ministry, church planting strategy, church planting ministry, and medical missions.
Global Hope India is a Christian charity that raises funds for India. 92% of every dollar given benefits gospel outreach projects in India such as church planting, orphan care, clean water projects, bibles, medical clinics, etc. Our partners in India serve the Baptist mission in India, Church of God in India as well as independent Christian churches. We do one thing – advance the gospel in India. We do it in one way – through the local church in India. Join us today by praying for India, giving to God’s work in India and going virtually or in person to make disciples in India. Find out more information at https://globalhopeindia.org
GHI Resources & Contact Info:
Resource CenterGHI FacebookGHI Instagram: @globalhopeindiaGHI Twitter: @globalhopeindia